Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I must be out of my cotton picking mind. Spent most of the day preparing phase I for "doce de chila (sheila)". This is a compote made from a squash that resembles spaghetti squash, although it is different. My father bought the originals in Toronto during one of our visits and grew them for decades. As with everything he had in his garden, he shared with the other few families in our city.

This brings me to the present and how I found myself elbow deep in chila, not to mention that there are at least another ten squash in my car.

A Portuguese family that I have been helping left for Portugal yesterday. Murphy's law came into play and their house which had been on the market for months sold a few weeks ago. The closing was on Friday. Now mind you, these poor folks had made plans for this trip months ago. The buyers would not budge on the closing date and the market being what it is they had no option. The house has to be turned over by the end of the month. Their children will be moving them while they are away ( I would have a nervous breakdown) and I inherited all of their chilas. It is my contribution to the cleanup. I will save a few because I must teach someone else how to make the "doce". Either that or change my name officially to Sheila!

The squash has to be broken by throwing it on the ground. Inside it is divided into four parts and separated by a "spine which has to be removed by hand. Tradition dictates that you can not use any metal objects to remove it. All seeds are removed. It is boiled until the flesh separates from the shell. I let it soak overnight in salt water. Tomorrow I will follow up with part two.

It is time consuming. But it is worth the trouble. I use the doce to make a special cake called
"Toucinho do Ceu" (Bacon from Heaven) and yes.....it must be what the angels eat....

If you are ever in Portugal, please visit Guimarães, their version of Toucinho do Ceu is by far the best I have ever had; but then, I might be a little bit biased.

No comments: