Friday, January 9, 2009

Farewell

Dona Lurdes finally left; the train to Gouveia picked her up this afternoon.

I felt a certain form of release on her behalf. She had been waiting so impatiently. I last saw her a couple of weeks ago. I sat all afternoon with her. Just she and I. She stared at me as trying to remember where she had seen me before. She stared and stared. Now and then she would break into an almost smile.

She looked weary. Her forehead was covered with sweat beads. The temperature in the room was way too warm. I wiped her forehead gently and asked if she was thirsty. She clenched her lips as a sign of some memory of control that she still possessed. This was her way of telling her body to stop. Luisa had told me that she was refusing nourishment. I pleaded with her gently. She did try to sip from a straw but did not really remember how to do it. The nurse brought me sponge sticks and after much temptation on my part of running them over her parched lips, she opened her mouth and swallowed little drops.

I attempted to change her pajama top. The dead weight of her body frame was more than I could move. I was determined to rid her of the drenched top. I succeed, but not before I was drenched in sweat myself. I bathed her at the bedside. Just her torso and head. She seemed peaceful and relaxed. She did not fight me. I brushed her hair back and wondered if she would be offended, were she in her right frame of mind. I told her that we had to go to a party that evening, after all both of us were celebrating our birthdays on that very day! I believe that I did see a full smile. I spent a few quiet hours by her bedside. It was peaceful and I could not think of a better way to spend my birthday.

At three o'clock today, she departed. Wonder if Gouveia is still as lovely as she remembered.......

Farewell Dona Lurdes. May you finally be where you have been wishing. Rest in peace.

1 comment:

Avozinha said...

Toda uma geração que se vai, alma após alma.
Gouveia deve estar cheia de neve por esta altura, sempre um bom lugar para se voltar.